CGRA-Wayne Jakino Educational Scholarship Guidelines
These guidelines were developed to aid the Colorado Gay Rodeo Association with the awarding of scholarship funds from the CGRA-Wayne Jakino Educational Scholarship Fund.
A. A minimum of $1,000 must be maintained in the fund.
B. Preference may be given to members of CGRA but anyone may apply.
C. The committee will actively solicit applications beginning in February with a May 1st deadline. Applications for scholarship funds shall be submitted by U.S. mail postmarked no later than May 1st.
D. The Scholarship Selection Committee should be made up of a special committee chair appointed by the President, the Treasurer, the Community Outreach chair, the Public Relations chair, and anyone else designated by the President.
E. Applicant may apply as many times as they wish, but will not be given preferential consideration in the selection process.
F. Applicants must be attending an institution of higher or professional education based in the state of Colorado (e.g. University of Colorado, Metro State College, University of Denver, Regis University, Community College of Aurora, etc.). Applicant may also be taking courses online via the Internet or in other correspondence fashion as long as the institution is based in Colorado and appropriately accredited.
G. Scholarship award amount shall be determined by the committee based on the applicant’s application, essay, and financial requirement. Committee is reminded not to discriminate based on sexual orientation, gender identity, age, sex, race, national origin, religion, marital status, or personal bias.
H. The selection committee may award as many or as few scholarships as they see fit, providing the necessary funds are available. If the fund is $1,000 or less no scholarships will be awarded that year.
I. Criteria for selection should be based on, but not limited to:
- Demonstrated sincerity for learning
- Persuasiveness of application and other required documents (letters, essays, references, etc.)
- Personal letters of reference
- Current grade point average
- Demonstrated financial need
J. Scholarship will be awarded for tuition, books and/or student fees only. Monies from the scholarship may not be applied to such items as room and board or other ancillary expenses that may relate to the higher education experience. Checks shall be made payable to the recipient and the institution only.
K. Applicant is not limited to any specific field of study. Awards should be based on the strength and need of the applicants alone.
Attached you will find an application for the CGRA-Wayne Jakino Educational Scholarship (The Scholarship). It is important that the application is filled out honestly and completely in order that both your financial needs and civic/community contributions can be evaluated fairly. Past scholarship recipients are invited to reapply as well. To be eligible for The Scholarship, the candidate must:
- Be a United States citizen or permanent resident of the United States and resident of the state of Colorado for the past year, or 365 days. If permanent resident, please attach a copy of residency card.
- Demonstrate financial need.
- Be admitted and enrolled in an institution of higher learning or attending an accredited technical or vocational school whose boundaries are within the state of Colorado.
- Have a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or GED (evidenced by high school and/or college transcript).
- Provide a current high school and/or college transcript (or GED).
- Attach two (2) letters of personal reference from individuals who know of your ability to be successful. Relatives cannot submit these letters. Applicants are encouraged to seek one recommendation from outside of their educational institution.
REQUIRED: SUBMIT 3 COMPLETE COPIES OF ALL INFORMATION YOU SEND US. TWO COPIES ARE JUDGED AND ONE IS KEPT AS A BACKUP.
REMINDERS: ALL REQUIREMENTS ABOVE MUST BE MET AND ALL ATTACHMENTS MUST ACCOMPANY APPLICATION OR YOU WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED. PLEASE ENSURE YOUR NAME APPEARS ON THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF ALL APPLICATION PAGES SUBMITTED.
UNMARKED PAGES WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED. DO NOT SUBMIT A PHOTO, UNLESS IT IS RELATED TO A PROJECT.
Completed application (pages 1-5) for an award of The Scholarship MUST be mailed to:
Attn: Scholarship Selection Committee
PO Box 18728
Denver CO 80218-0728
THE APPLICATION MUST BE POSTMARKED NO LATER THAN MAY 1st.
The Scholarship Selection Committee will review all applications. If you are selected to receive a scholarship, your award will be disbursed to the educational institution of your choice and may only be used for tuition and/or books and fees. Recipients’ names will be posted on the Web site after they have been notified. All recipient applications are retained for CGRA tax purposes and all other applications are destroyed after judging.
Recipients of The Scholarship are highly encouraged to attend the Rocky Mountain Regional Rodeo. Three (3) tickets will be provided at no cost to each recipient. Additional details will be provided to recipients as they become available.